Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Birth Class #4

Last night we had our final birth class. It was over mother and baby care. We went over the basics for caring for our newborns. We touched base on keeping them warm for the first 24 hours, and what clothes we should have with us when we go to birthing center for them.We were told to keep a chart of when baby take a poop and urinates for the first few days. We also went over cord care, the newborn screening test, jaundice, and circumcision. Since we are having an out of hospital birth we are going to hire a Mohel (Jewish Rabbi) to perform the circumcision for Parker. I learned that we will have it done once Parker is 8 days old. Don't quote me on this I may not be 100% right but it has something to do with by the 8th day the babies blood can clot on its own. At the hospital they take the babies immediately and have them circumcised and have to put a jelly on them to help stop the bleeding. My midwife has watched this Rabbi perform many circumcisions and she said that it only takes about 7 seconds, and that the babies are done crying by the time they are dressed. I am dreading having to watch it :(


We talked about postpartum care for me! Lets just say that Blake has to treat me like a Queen! I have strict instructions to do nothing but rest and take care of Parker. Sounds easy but from what I hear you don't get much rest. We talked about keeping up with my diet and avoid all caffeinated drinks...easy since I don't drink caffeine now! I need to empty my bladder every few hours for the first few days, we talked about postpartum bleeding, whats normal and not normal. I have to check my temperature three times a day until my midwife comes to see me 2 days later. Oh and if I don't have any stitches I am to resume doing my kegel exercises on day 2....wahoo I get a one day break.


Overall the birth classes were great! I was a great review and nice to hear it from an actual person instead of just reading it in birth books. I have a great library of birth books if you need to borrow them. They are more targeted towards natural childbirth but great information either way.


I have a breastfeeding class in a few weeks and I am really excited and interested in learning everything I can about breastfeeding. At first I was hesitant to want to breastfeed because I have heard horrible stories. Now I cant wait for my chance to bond with Parker and hopefully I don't have any bad experiences.

Fun part about the classes was we got to meet couples that are experiencing all the same things we are. We all felt comfortable talking about everything since we all have the same wants, needs, and desires.

1 comment:

Alycia said...

Glad you are done with your classes. I can't wait to meet his baby!