Thursday, January 16, 2014

Jenna Marie Jenkins has finally arrived!

The post everyone including myself has been waiting for!

taken 20 minutes after my water broke

 Where to start...I will start with Thursday morning. I woke up expecting it to be a normal day, except it ended up being a pretty rough morning for me. I went to make breakfast and instead I got eggs that kept sticking to the pan ( no amount of oil helped), a toddler who wanted to scream his head off and refused to tell me what he want he wanted for breakfast. He also had pre-school that morning and refused to get dressed to go. That doesn't seem so bad but when you throw a 39 week hormonal way done pregnant mama into the mix well its the end of the world! I had to step away so I took my morning shower. I came back out to find Parker eating breakfast, and he was eating oatmeal...the exact thing I offered him and he threw a fit not wanting to eat it. He still wasn't dressed for school and at this point it was 9, I was actually upset with Blake about that. So needless to say Parker didn't make it to school that day. I sat on the couch and couldn't keep the tears at bay. Can you tell I was done! I needed to be alone so I went to the bedroom and sat by myself for about 15 minutes, I remember crying and silently praying for Jenna to just come. Since  Parker never got ready for school it meant Blake wasn't dressed either. My original plan was to drop Parker off and go run some errands. I was in such a rotten mood  I decided to still go but by myself. I was in need of some much needed alone time. I got dressed and said bye and walked out the door. I left giving no indication as to where or what I was going to do. Probably not the smartest thing to do since I was due any day now. I headed to the dealership to get my license plates for the car, and took my ring that sadly didn't fit to get cleaned. I walked around ross and target just looking around. I picked up lunch for us and headed home around 1. So after replaying my Thursday morning, I should have known Jenna was coming. You always seem to be pushed to your limits before things get better.
 
Ok so enough about how bad my morning was, lets get to the exciting part. Thursday night around 11:45 pm I woke up from a dream that I was having a contraction, and I may have actually been having one but I am not sure. Since I was up I of course had to use the bathroom. I went to wipe and noticed a very faint pink tint (aka bloody show) mixed in with my urine when I wiped. I told myself not to get excited and went back to bed. I was asleep for 2 hours before I was woken up again. This time I felt a swoosh sensation, its hard to explain but It reminded me of losing my mucus plug and water breaking with Parker. I got up and went to the bathroom again and this time I had more bloody show and had a good amount in the toilet. I couldn't help but get excited this time. I knew that my body was preparing for Jenna! I did force myself to lay down and try to go back to sleep but my mind kept racing and I couldn't relax. I got out of bed and grabbed my book and went to the living room. I started having some irregular contractions, ranging from 7-15 minutes apart. they kept up that way until about 6 or so. Parker woke up at 6 that morning so I had to do the mom thing and get him breakfast and dressed for the day. I made whole wheat oatmeal waffles and bacon. I really wanted to go eat breakfast but Blake was still asleep and didn't want to wait for him to wake up. I don't remember having many contractions while I was cooking probably because I was distracted. Parker and I ate breakfast and Blake finally woke up. I debated with myself on telling Blake about my bloody show and contractions. I didn't want him going into freak out mode. I eventually casually mentioned that I thought he may not have to go to work tomorrow because I thought Jenna would come today or tomorrow. I said we need to go to the store just in case and get snack and make sure we have everything ready for the midwives. We got the bed ready, made sure the bathrooms were cleaned and not cluttered, and cleaned the kitchen. Parker didn't want to go anywhere so I called my mom and gave her an update and asked her to come hangout with Parker while we run some errands. Blake and I went to sprouts and Target and picked up fruit, veggies, and a few things we needed around the house. While we walked around the stores I mostly felt like I was having very bad menstrual cramps, so of course I didn't think I was progressing. We came home had lunch and laid down for a family nap. I was able to take a 2 hour nap. I still didn't feel like I was having real contractions just lots of cramping and bloody show, so I text messaged my midwife and updated her. she told me not to get discouraged that they have defiantly made changes to my cervix. I also asked her if I should get an adjustment today just in case things heat up during the night. she said that was a good idea, so I called my chiropractor Dr. Chandra Crisp and scheduled a late appointment for 6. My neighbor asked if I wanted to go for a walk and of course I agreed. We took a short leisure walk to the park and back, so about a mile. I had maybe 3 contractions while we walked. when we got back home all the neighbors and kids were talking and playing outside. we stood outside chatting for about an hour and my contractions had started up again. I think they were about every 7 minutes apart, but I played it cool and enjoyed chatting with everyone. I remember rocking side to side a lot to help ease the pain and my back had started hurting. they had gotten a bit more intense but nothing I couldn't handle. None of the neighbors seemed to notice or they just didn't say anything. We ended up talking to long and didn't have time to cook dinner and needed to head up to the chiropractors office.

 On the drive over my contractions seemed to get more intense, I think it was because Blake was driving like a crazy person! We got to her office around 5:45ish and was seen around 6. She asked about how far apart my contractions were and said she was going to adjust me and have me walk to try to get my contractions closer and get them to last longer. After my first adjustment contractions went to about 2.5 minutes to 3.5 minutes apart, still only lasting about 30 seconds. she adjusted me two more times and they stayed about the same. I was still able to walk through them some I had to breath a little deeper and walk a little slower. After my 3rd adjustment she told me to go home and have  a good dinner and get some rest, so back home went. I had been text messaging Sue my midwife the whole time and she asked if I wanted her to come check me. I was hesitant because I felt contractions had only kicked up because I got adjusted. she had told me she would feel better if she check me but she would wait an hour if I would like. I knew Blake would feel better if she checked to see how I was progressing so I told her to meet us at our house as we were leaving.  I had noticed at the chiropractors office it had gotten very uncomfortable to sit so when I went to sit in the car it hurt. I got in the back seat and sat on my hands and knees. My contractions were ok up until we got to Harmon and  bonds ranch rd not to far from our house. I felt a contraction coming on and I turned to face the back of the seat so I could hold onto the head rest and WHOOSH my water broke at 7 pm, In our new car! way to break it in! Good thing I went ahead and had Sue leave to meet us at our house. I called her and let he know that my water broke and she said "I am on my way, and told Blake to go home and fill up the birthing tub right away because she had a feeling things would move very quickly:". We called my mom and had her meet us at the house to keep Parker entertained, and called Blake's mom to let her know Jenna was coming!
 
We got home, and Blake helped me out of the car and I went straight to our room to get out of my wet clothes. I got out of my wet clothes and threw on a dress and just stood in the bathroom by the toilet. My contractions continued to stay close together and gradually got much more intense. I had to actually focus and breath through them. I braced myself in between the door frame of the bathroom and let the contractions work. Blake was busy setting up the birthing pool and Sue arrived shortly after. poor Blake had a big job on his hands and forgot to put the pool liner in, we managed with out it just fine! we filled the tub up as much as we could but ran out of hot water very fast. We had just enough water for me to labor and birth in the pool. while the pool was still filling up Sue wanted to check me so we knew how I was progressing. She went to check me and I was already dilated to a 7! I wasn't expecting that especially since I was able to walk through most of my contractions. After she checked me I went straight back to the bathroom to my trusty door frame. Sue then asked if I wanted to get in the water, I again was hesitant and thinking it was to soon. I didn't want labor to slow down. Sue reassured me that I was past the point of labor slowing down. I went ahead and got in, and the water felt so good. Since I changed positions my contractions got stronger. I was sitting on my legs similar to a squat. I contracted that way until my legs got tired of holding me up and I then leaned back and reclined, my back resting up against the pool. Blake wasn't in the pool but he was behind me and held my hand and continued to offer words of encouragement the whole time. He made sure I had juice, water and put a cold wash rag on my forehead. I was working up quite the sweat and was very hot. Between contractions I remember saying things like I am done, I want a break. and of course my wonderful husband said "this is your minute break", thanks honey! I tried my best to stay calm and joke during contractions. I've read that can help with labor. After a few contractions I started to feel pressure on my sacrum so I knew I needed to change positions, I also knew that meant the contractions getting stronger. so I returned to a semi squat position and faced Blake. that first contraction was a big one, I could actually feel Jenna move down the birth canal. It was quite amazing to feel that, and for me to know exactly what was going on inside my body! I either had one or two more contractions and I felt the urge to push and could feel her partially crown and then go back up. It was painful and I remember saying I can feel her crowning and then go back up, sue reminded me that's what's suppose to happen, and my response was I just want her out! The next contractions ended up being the longest and final contractions and I birth her head and I heard  my wonderful birth team say "push" and I pushed my heart out and she was born at 9.12 pm. I felt every inch of her being born and I knew she had been born, but I still had to ask "did I just have a baby?" Sue said "yes", and told me she was going to glide her through my legs so that I could lift her out of the water. As Blake would say, she swam through my legs and I picked her up out of the water and brought her to my chest. Blake and I were filled with such joy and awe as we stared at our beautiful baby girl. we had to do a quick check to make sure it was in fact a girl, she was! She was covered in so much vernix and had the sweetest little cry.

* Looking over midwife notes I was in the 1st stage of labor 19 hours 12 minutes ( active labor 3 hours) 2 stage of labor (pushing) 12 minutes and 3rd stage (delivering placenta) 7 minutes

After I had Jenna Sue told Blake she was going to call him over to catch Jenna until she noticed the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice and was tight. She said she just held her head up close to me while I delivered her body, which was also wrapped by the cord. She said as I delivered her she was just unraveling her. I love how calm she stayed and didn't react in anyway to alarm us.


We enjoyed the first few minutes with Jenna and then called my mom and Parker into the room. when Parker first saw her he said "you didn't wash the soap off" He is such a sweet boy and cracks us up everyday! He wasn't to interested so off he went to the living room to play with Gigi. Once we confirmed the umbilical cord stopped pulsing we clamped it and Blake cut the cord. I then got out of the water and transferred to the bed to feed Jenna.  I delivered the placenta. after she was done eating I handed her to Blake  and was checked for tearing. I had a small 1st degree tear, I could have gotten 2-3 stiches at most but opted out since it would heal on its own. Our herbal bath was being prepared while I was busy doing that so once we were done we headed to our bath. while I was in the bathtub Blake was ordering us Chinese food. After our herbal bath I handed Jenna over to Blake so I could wash up and get dressed.


Once I was back in bed Sue my midwife began doing Jenna's newborn check up. The food had arrived so Blake was getting me a plate and came in just in time to weight her. we all had given our final guesses and none of us expected her to weigh 7 pounds 12 ounces! she was 20.75 inches long. All her test came out perfect just like her!

Anyone who knew me when I was in labor with parker would read this is agree that I have a problem with being in denial when it comes to being in labor!

Jenna Marie Jenkins
Born: January,10 2014
at 9.10 p.m.
weight: 7 pounds 12 ounces
Length: 20 3/4
chest: 14
head: 13 1/4

*I will add pictures later, I promise!

I am not the best writer/blogger but I hope you enjoyed how we welcomed Jenna into the world. Since it was a CRAZY day I hope I remembered everything and hopefully its in the right order.

A big thank you to Sue Salstrand and Kelli Bankes, the midwives attending my birth. You made me feel so strong and never let me doubt myself. I couldn't have asked for a better set of midwives to coach me through such a beautiful water birth! Blake was awesome during my birth and I seriously couldn't have done it without him, he was my rock and held my hand like a trooper. Hopefully I didn't squeeze to hard! Grateful for Jamie our birth photographer, she is just starting out and we were honored to be her first shoot! I can't wait to see the pictures and refer everyone to her!

I am so thankful for this body that we have been given. Our heavenly father created us so perfectly and I am blessed to have had two beautiful children.

 

No comments: