Monday, February 25, 2013

Cowtown 10K

I think I have found my life calling!

Early morning cowtown 10K run
I have had the privilege of helping a friend train for the Cowtown 10K the past couple of months. It has been fun, challenging, and best of all satisfying. Let me give you some history on my dear friend, Brother Kirk Cannon. I hope he doesn't mind! He started running to relieve stress that was onset by a huge life changing event...On his own he built up from nothing to 3 miles all on his own. I joined him on a few runs and he always told me that I helped push him harder just by running with him So when he told me he wanted to run the cowtown 10K, I said I want to train with you so that you can achieve your goal, plus it was motivation for me to get back out there. I was recovering from a knee injury, and was taking a 2 month break. We started training mid January and the race was on February 23. We worked from 3 miles to 6.2, and he increased his speed. Before we started training he was running right at a 12 minute mile and now he is running right under a 10 minute mile, that's great for a 6ft 5", 280 pound guy. Sorry about the stats Kirk, but this just proves that no matter what IT CAN BE DONE! So proud of how well he is doing! During our runs I would be yelling encouraging words and giving him advice, and they best part was when we conquered that days challenge and he would tell me " right when I felt like I couldn't go on anymore, you would say your doing great, you CAN do this".

Here are the race stats. He struggled from the 5 mile mark to finish but still beat his practice 10k time. ran 6.2 miles in 01:02:49. Great job!

My stats. 01:01:16

Our friend Jeanette also ran this race and did great! her ending time was 01:11:55. she blew her practice 10k stats out of the water!

I am far from a great runner and long distance running is still a challenge for me. I have really enjoyed this experience because while I am helping him grow to become the runner he wants to be, I am also becoming a better runner, and it has helped me learn I can make a difference in my life and in others! THANKS!Now I just need to get off my butt and get certified to a trainer!

No comments: