Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Battery Boy

Today I was Un-lucky enough to experience Parker swallowing a battery. FREAKED OUT!

Parker always goes into our bedroom and plays in our nightstands, and I never thought twice about letting him since everything was larger, books, etc. Well he managed to get my batteries out of my book light and taste them, or should I say eat them. I was actually talking to Blake on the bed when I heard him cough/gag and turned around to see him holding 2 of the 3 batteries. I tried to stick my fingers in his mouth and make him throw up but he didn't, which turned out to be good since a few minutes later I found out your not suppose to do that. ( I am a first time mom freaking out, I had no clue what to do ) He didn't seem to be chocking on it but he was crying hysterically because I for one stuck my finger down his throat, and second he was scared because I was freaking out. Since I didn't know what to do and was to freaked out to find the number for poison control I just called 911. They got to my house super fast and Parker had calmed down by then. They told me that since he doesn't seem to have any trouble breathing they suggested I take him in for an x-ray to see if he even swallowed it. They told me to they could take us in the ambulance or I could take him, since I had Devin I figured I would just take Parker myself. Devin slept through my whole freak out by the way and Uncle James got here just in time for us to leave.

The battery Parker swallowed.
I loaded Parker up and took him to Cooks Urgent Care in Hurst. They got him back fairly quickly but they weren't busy at all. They doctor came in felt around on his tummy and throat, checked out. She looked down his throat, good to. We waited about 5-10 minutes for them to take us back for an x-ray. On our way to the x-ray room all the nurses were saying there is the BATTERY BOY. yep thats my kid. I was surprised at how well he did for the x-ray. At first he didn't want to lay down but we turned on the light and just stared at it, YAY lights, and it was done. He couldn't eat or drink anything until we knew if he had swallowed the battery so the wait for them to let us know seemed like forever. It did take a longtime maybe 20-25 minutes. It was lunch and nap time so Parker was very cranky. He was screeming and I couln't feed him, it was heart breaking.

Finally, the doctor came in and told us he DID swallow a battery, but the good news was that it had moved far enought down into his stomach that he wouldn't need surgery to have it removed. Hallelujah! She told us he could eat and drink as normal and he will pass it. He may experience some pain while passing it but that should be the worse. she did tell me if he starts vomitting or has blood in his stool to come back in.

mom I didn't mean to eat a battery and freak you out... I am fine!

He has taken a poop since we got home but no battery yet...yes I am checking! I want to make sure he poops it out. He seems totally fine, crawling around like a mad man.

I am so thankful he is ok and everything will be ok.

and this was his first hospital setting visit...since he wasn't born in a hospital...(Fun Fact, I guess)

No comments: