Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Camping time!


We ventured out near the Louisiana border this pass weekend to the beautiful State Park Caddo Lake. We tagged along with our aunt Karen and Deanna and our cousins Heather, Roger and Niko. Fun times!!
 
We left Thursday around 2 and we prayed Parker (@61/2 months) would do good for a 3.5 hour drive. Well guess what we have the perfect child ever! He feel asleep about 10 minutes into drive and sleep for 45 minutes until the trailer in front of us not had a blow out. The tire went under are car and made a loud thump no biggie. 2 hours into drive we pulled over for potty break and feed him and then continued on and he feel back asleep...we made good time too!

We stayed in a cabin...no tent for me! I have slept in a tent two times and both times I was absolutely miserable, probably due to lack of preparedness but still! We stayed in a cute little cabin with Heather,Roger and Niko while Karen and Deanna stayed in the camper. We didn't have a TV and they did with satellite...jealous! We didn't really have a good signal on our phones to watch anything...bummer. All that stuff defeats the purpose of camping so I guess its ok we didn't have it!

Our Cabin#7

My favorite part about camping with Karen and Deanna is eating all the GREAT food! I think I gained about 6 pounds over the weekend. Heather packed all sorts of yummy snacks that I contribute the weight gain to! well maybe it was me having pre- breakfast, breakfast, lunch, dinner and post-dinner! every night except the last we stayed up after the kids went to sleep and played games and ate pure junk!
 On Friday morning we woke up and drove about 10 minutes outside the camping grounds to a small town call uncertain...I guess they were uncertain about what to name it! we took a boat tour of Caddo Lake on a paddle boat that uses fire to keep it running.  Parker slept for the fist 30 minutes of the boat ride and didn't even flinch when they blew the horn. It was pretty windy out so instead of an hour tour we were out for almost 2.  The lake is more of a swamp and Caddo Lake is known for alligators, we only saw a baby alligator...boring. The lake is full of bald Cyprus trees that thrive in swamp areas, and all the trees were over 100 years old. In order for new trees to grow the seeds have to be dry and wet for a certain amount of time and since its always in about 2 feet of water no new trees can grow. Fun Fact!
tons and tons of lilly pads

 
 
 
Friday night we went to an owl prowl but we didn't get to see any owls. We called them but they never came. We blame the wind and the cold air that had to blow in that day. we learned lots of fun facts about owls so maybe one day I can use all that information in a conversation.


Saturday we went for a nature hike and didn't get to see any animals but learned some pretty cool stuff about the park. It ended up being pretty cold that day so we started a fire ate some marshmallows and took a long nap! Blake tried to fish but had no luck. At night we had burgers and hot dogs at the cabin to change things up and just enjoyed the area and our last night camping together.
Parker and his aunt Karen

nature hike looking at yum yum trees!

my little model!

It was so pretty out!

getting ready to eat!

Niko had a blast playing catch with everyone.
This picture was taken after Parker spit up in Blake's mouth! I saved it for last! I find it funny that Blake actually smiled for this picture! At least i let him rinse his mouth out first.

I had a great time camping with the family and my boys. Thankful we were able to spend the time together! Parker had a great time on his first of many camping trips. Its official we had our first mini vacation!
5/12-5/15.








No comments: